One way I learn Spanish is by watching movies in Spanish with English subtitles.
I just watched “Don’t Blame Karma!” a Netflix produced movie shot in Merida, Yucatán, Mexico, where I live an hour away.
It’s a solid romance movie that is well-written and acted, so it’s enjoyable to watch.
One of the strengths of “Don’t Blame Karma!” is its setting in Mérida, Yucatán, México, which is richly portrayed through the film’s cinematography. The local sights and landmarks are showcased beautifully, and the film’s visuals are a standout feature that adds depth and nuance to the story.
How they incorporate such Merida icons:
- Yucatán Fashion Week Fest
- Flamingos – their home ground is nearby, really close to where I live on the beach, we see them almost every day
- Yucatán love chairs
- Even the heat makes an appearance in the movie, yes it gets hot here, not Phoenix or Death Valley hot but hotter than México City for sure
- Many haciendas and colonial architecture are throughout the movie
- Wedding ceremony is done by a traditional Maya in full traditional outfit, was really nice to see
- All the characters are from the rich Mérida social class living in fantastic lifestyle
If you’ve never been to Mérida, it really shows it off well. It’s a good movie outside of learning Spanish from it.
Watch Don’t Blame Karma! | Netflix Official Site
- Campeche Historic Home Tour – Centro Cultural Casa No. 6, Campeche, México - March 4, 2023
- Edzná Maya Pyramid Tour – Campeche México - February 25, 2023
- Campeche Mexico Wall Tour – Puerta de Tierra - February 18, 2023