Welcome back to Expat News by Expat Rebel. Here’s a weekly digest to keep you updated on the Expat World. If you were forwarded this message, you can get the free weekly email here.
In this issue:
- Venice will give day-tripper fee a test run
- Delta Overhauls SkyMiles Elite Status and Sky Club Access
- How to Choose the Best Seats on a Plane
- Expat Photo Of The Week
- Independence Day In México
- And more Expat News
Independence Days Of Your New Resident Country
If you’re an expat already or are planning on being one you are going to be in a country that has an independence day that is not your home country.
Today is Independence here in México. We heard fireworks at midnight and this weekend starting yesterday is much like what you are used to back home. Parties, music and food.
Our maid came a day earlier because of the holiday so she can celebrate with family and friends.
We’ll expect it to be crowded here on the beach and louder than normal.
We sent WhatsApp text messages to everyone we know here in México saying “¡Te deseo un feliz Día de la Independencia Mexicana lleno de alegría y orgullo!” which means “Wishing you a happy Mexican Independence Day filled with joy and pride!”
Expat Photo Of The Week
Here on the coast of Yucatán México on the Gulfo de México it is not known for surfing. In fact, it’s aweful for surfing. The waves just don’t get that big. Most mornings the Gulfo is completely flat, it looks like a big lake.
But, it is excellent for Kite Surfing on most afternoons when the wind comes out to play.
Last night after watching the sunset someone came out with their gear and zipped back and forth while the light faded.
The wind is so consistant here that there are some kite surfing schools based here.
- Venice will give day-tripper fee a test run – Venice can get so crowded that they think this will help. It’s only US$5.50 a day and you don’t pay that if you spend the night somewhere that collects a lodging tax. The test will last about 30 days and take place in 2024 on spring weekends spanning Italian national holidays and on summer weekends. The exact days of the test will be set by the city in the coming weeks.
- Delta Overhauls SkyMiles Elite Status and Sky Club Access – Delta drastically changed their SkyMiles program. Lots of changes. Read article for them all. There are “no changes to how SkyMiles members can earn and redeem miles, so all that’s changing is elite qualification methods and metrics.” And there will be even more changes with the Delta AMEX card next year.
- How to Choose the Best Seats on a Plane – great article on how different types of passengers, like parents with kids or nervous fliers and others, should pick their best seat on a plane. Lots of great tips.
- The Best Travel Organizers of 2023 for Smarter Packing– long list of fancy organizers for all your travel needs
- Starlink Mexico, Elon Musk’s satellite internet, lowers its prices – Starlink has made price reductions in the past to attract new customers, and its service is available throughout the national territory of Mexico.
- The Ariel Awards are the most prestigious recognition for Mexican cinema – “The big winner of the night was BARDO, the latest film by acclaimed director Alejandro González Iñárritu, which won nine awards out of 12 nominations, including best picture, best director, best actor for Daniel Giménez Cacho, and best original screenplay.” Bardo is on Netflix Worldwide.
- Presidential candidate Xochitl Galvez says a weaker peso could boost the Mexican economy – for the financial news people some insight on maybe when our exchange rate will get better.
- El Salvador Bitcoin Plan Flops : – after two years people are hardly using it. Cash is still king and it hasn’t made the country more expat friendly.
- Update on Mexican Ruins: Unexpected Changes in Prices and Site Closures - November 30, 2023
- 52 Money Saving Travel Tips, US Passport Processing Time are Getting Shorter, Travel + Leisure Destination Of The Year, Thanksgiving In México, Investment Lot Scams, and more Expat News - November 11, 2023
- Secret Of Mexican Malls, What to Know About Tipping on a Cruise, Acapulco Is A Disaster Will Take 12 to 18 months To Repair, AirBnb Extortion, Airlines Are Poaching Top Flyers, and more Expat News - November 4, 2023